Irish red nose pittie

Diagnosis: Osteosarcoma, Chronic Dermatitis

TyTy came to us as a rescue; she was abused and tied up for about the first year of her life. She had no social skills, no trust in humans, and she was scarred of everyone and everything. TyTy was exhibiting aggressive behavior, especially toward men, so my husband and I knew this would be a long road to her recovery. At the time we took TyTy in, our pack only consisted of Bailey, a gentle 60lb boy, and Savesa, a 10lb overly friendly little girl. We introduced them to her, one at a time, and she instantly took right to them. This, of course, made her transition with us a lot smoother, knowing she could get along with them. TyTy built a strong bond with Bailey and Savesa almost immediately; she trusted them way before she trusted us. This bond they shared was our gateway to building trust with her through Bailey and Savesa. TyTy would study our interactions with them and slowly start to join in.

It took several months of crate training before TyTy felt that it was her safe space, but as soon as that light bulb went off in her brain we began to leave the crate door open at all times, and whenever she felt nervous or unsafe she would go into it. This was her cue to let us know that whatever was currently going on, she didn’t like it. Through this type of training, we learned about her dislike. She was uneasy with new people coming in, especially men; she didn’t like squeaky toys, and she would shake in her crate over any loud noise. This was especially difficult for my husband, who naturally speaks at a high volume. These observations allowed us to create a home for TyTy where she felt safe, furthering her trust in us. She never fully got over her trauma, so we kept TyTys circle of humans small, but she loved the humans she shared her time with unconditionally.

She became the sweetest, most gentle pittie I had ever met. TyTys’ most favorite thing in the whole world was water; she loved to swim. We would take trips out to my parents’ house so she could swim in their big pond. She would dive off the dock, swim to the other side, get out and run back over to the dock to repeat this process for hours if we’d let her and when it was time to leave the only way we could get her in the car was to leash her. We bought her a kiddie pool for home, and she would play in it all day long during the summer months. When it started cooling down outside, we’d drain it, and she would just sit in it looking sad that the water was all gone. TyTy was a redhead, so naturally, she had a lot of skin issues. Every time she was done swimming or playing in the water, it was imperative that we dried her off completely and kept her skin and coat moisturized to keep her comfortable otherwise, she would be itching from morning to night. She was also susceptible to ear infections which were hard to combat with all the swimming she loved to do but eventually, we found a good routine that maintained the health of her skin and ears while still allowing her to enjoy her water time.

TyTy lived a happy, healthy life with us for 8 incredible years; then she was diagnosed with Osteosarcoma. It came out of nowhere, with no warning signs of sickness or pain. She went to bed just fine and woke up the following day with a small lump on her shoulder. I monitored it for 2 days before deciding to take her to the vets office. Within that 2 days, it went from being the size of a marble to the size of a baseball. The doc examined her, and did some blood tests and an MRI before determining that she, in fact, had osteosarcoma, a bone tumor that was spreading rapidly. The vet immediately contacted an Oncologist to share the findings and the 2 of them had concluded that the best thing we could do for TyTy was take her home and make her comfortable. Both Docs felt that she would not benefit from chemo or any other type of treatment due to the aggressive nature of her Osteosarcoma. TyTy was released and home we went with a sack full of meds. I spent every minute of 2 weeks with her, I abandoned all house duties and all work in my office just to be with her. TyTy fought hard for that 2 weeks to stay with us. I let her lead me through this, she would cue me on when she wanted more pain meds by a few whimpers and standing in front of where they were kept, when she wanted to eat she would continuously smack her lips together like she had just gotten done eating a juicy steak, and when she was ready for a snuggle and nap she would lay her head in my lap. The last day she was with us she took her meds but refused to eat, she just stared up at me the whole day as we layed on the floor as though she was trying to communicate that she was ready. Naturally, I had refused to believe that’s what she wanted but as the evening went on it became more and more clear that it was time to say goodbye. Morning came and it was time to take her in. It’s never an easy decision to make but I was so grateful that I got that last two weeks with her. That time allowed me the space to come to terms with the inevitable. It was time that a lot of pet parents dont get, time to hold her close for just a little bit longer, and the time to mentally prepare for that final goodbye.